Blockchains and Bagels Daily Market Roundup – 06.07.2018
Blockchains and Bagels: the morning market update to get you ready for the day ahead. Today, in an interview with CNBC, SEC Chairman expressed his view that digital currencies are not securities and reiterated his stance on regulation for tokens. Coinbase has acquired numerous licenses and is seeking regulatory approval.
SEC Chairman does not view Bitcoin as a security
In an interview with CNBC, SEC Chairman Jay Clayton expressed his view that Bitcoin and other digital currencies are securities. He does not have the same outlook for tokens. Clayton views any asset used to raised funds as a security and should be regulated by the SEC.
Coinbase continues with regulatory push acquiring numerous licenses
The US-based exchange has announced the acquisition of a broker-dealer license, an alternative trading system license, and a registered investment advisor license. This will bring them under the oversight of the SEC and FINRA upon approved.
Circle Internet Financial is seeking a federal banking license
The Goldman Sachs backed digital currency platform is seeking a federal banking license. In Circle’s view a banking license will be more difficult to acquire in the short run but it will simplify regulatory conversations in the long run. The company also intends to register as a brokerage and trading venue.
Huobi exploring the possibility of becoming decentralized
The Singapore-based exchange is laying the groundworks for Huobi Chain. The company has invested US$ 100 million into building its own blockchain and will move its operations onto the chain once complete. The exchange intends to migrate its management structure to a decentralized autonomous organization.
Around the network
- Crypto’s 32-year-old billionaire mining king is mulling an IPO
- Gold market dreams of blockchain supply chain by next year
- Banks turn to blockchain to speed up Indian internal trade deals
Through the headlines
- Fed on track to raise rates regardless of emerging-market woes
- Buffett says economy is feeling strong: ‘If we’re in the sixth inning, we have our sluggers coming to bat’
- China is working to change global commodities trading – to its own benefit
- OPEC meeting ‘might be one of the worst since 2011’ amid differences over supply
- Canadian dollar seen up on BoC rate hikes; NAFTA a wild card: Reuters poll
Buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies on Coinsquare, Canada’s most secure trading platform.
Get the latest blockchain and digital currency news from Canada and around the world, delivered each week to your inbox.
Your Email address