Blockchains and Bagels Daily Market Roundup – 08.10.2018
Blockchains and Bagels: the morning market update to get you ready for the day ahead. Today, Overstock blockchain unit secures private-equity investment; Yale economist releases cryptocurrency analysis.
Overstock jumps after a massive private-equity investment in its blockchain unit
E-commerce retailer announced that private-equity firm GSR Capital will invest up to $270 million into Overstock’s blockchain subsidiary tZero. The deal gives the firm an 18 percent stake in tZero, and values the subsidiary at $1.5 Billion. In addition, GSR Capital will purchase $30 million worth of tZero security tokens from Overstock. Overstock shares rose as much as 21% in after-hours trading after the announcement.
Yale Economist releases a comprehensive economic analysis of cryptocurrency
In a study by Yale economist Aleh Tsyvinski and Yunkun Liu, a Ph.D. candidate, the duo highlighted that the return/volatility ratio for cryptocurrencies is not drastically larger than stocks and bonds. Furthermore, the study also highlights that factors, such as momentum and investor attention, can be used to meaningfully predict cryptocurrency behavior.
Indian fraud case reveals an elaborate $3.2 billion Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme
An investigation into a kidnapping scheme targeting a property developer in India uncovered a Bitcoin-based Ponzi scheme that allegedly scammed individuals across the globe. The firm, BitConnect, encouraged clients to deposit bitcoin in return for BitConnect coins that could be lent for double-digit rates, attracting over $3.2 billion worth of Bitcoin deposits over the course of its operations.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia preparing to create the world’s first blockchain bond
Commonwealth Bank of Australia has been mandated by the World Bank to create the world’s first blockchain bond, named bond-i. The new issuance seeks to be the first bond in the world to be “created, allocated, transferred, and managed with blockchain technology”.
Around the network
- Is Blockchain technology the future of voting?
- An “AWS for crypto” just raised £25 million on the London Stock Exchange with plans to open Bitcoin Genius Bars
- He’s half ETF, half crypto: One man’s quest to bring progress to the universe
Through the headlines
- Bulls may need to wait longer for the big record: taking stock
- Stocks fall with Euro on Turkey contagion concern: markets wrap
- U.S. oil vanishing from Chinese tariffs reveals America’s clout
- California sees China impact, soft job growth but no sign of recession, say economists
- US crude sanctions against Iran could make maintaining the world’s oil supply ‘very challenging,’ IEA says
Buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies on Coinsquare, Canada’s most secure trading platform.
Get the latest blockchain and digital currency news from Canada and around the world, delivered each week to your inbox.
Your Email address