Blockchains and Bagels Daily Market Roundup – 06.20.2018
Blockchains and Bagels: the morning market update to get you ready for the day ahead. Today, Hydro-Quebec receives approval to hike electrical rates for miners. Bithumb falls victim to US$ 31.5 million hack.
Hydro-Quebec hikes power rate to 15 cents per kilowatt-hour for miners
The Regie de l’energie has authorized Hydro-Quebec to charge 15 cents per kilowatt hour to digital asset miners. The increase raises electrical costs by three times and will only apply to new applicants. The province is also applying for an increase in capacity from 150MW to 500MW.
Korean exchange Bithumb falls victim to US$ 31.5m hack
The sixth largest exchange by volume according to coinmarketcap.com was compromised last night. Hackers have siphoned US$ 31.5 million from the exchange’s hot wallets.
A consortium including the NASDAQ, has tested a blockchain based margin platform
NASDAQ, ABN AMRO Clearing, EuroCCP, and Euroclear has tested a proof of concept for covering margin calls with a blockchain. The successful trial demonstrates a distributed ledger could reduce the inefficiencies of collateral processing as more parties begin to clear derivatives at a central clearinghouse.
IBM has launched a blockchain platform to track media transactions
IBM has partnered with Mediaocean to launch a blockchain platform to tackle transparency in advertising. The company will use the distributed ledger to track money flows between buyers and advertisers.
Around the network
- Bitcoin is ‘not for me’ but it’s too ‘arrogant’ to say it won’t have a future, Goldman Sachs CEO says
- OKEx to Launch Cryptocurrency Exchange White Label Service
- Bitcoin Cash: What is it and How to Buy Bitcoin Cash in Canada
Through the headlines
- White House says China’s ‘economic aggression’ is a global threat
- U.K companies face pre-Brexit tax bombshell from EU
- ‘Oil is not a weapon’: Iran’s energy minister urges OPEC to condemn President Trump
- US withdraws from UN human rights council, calling it a ‘cesspool’ and alleging bias against Israel
- Trump says he would back both House immigration bills as child separation crisis grows
Buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies on Coinsquare, Canada’s most secure trading platform.
Get the latest blockchain and digital currency news from Canada and around the world, delivered each week to your inbox.
Your Email address