Blockchains and Bagels Daily Market Roundup – 07.09.2018
Blockchains and Bagels: the morning market update to get you ready for the day ahead. Today, Bitmain to invest in Opera’s NASDAQ listing while Gemini has hired Robert Cornish from the NYSE as CTO.
Bitmain invests US$50 million alongside Opera’s US$115 million initial public offering
The maker of the Opera web browser will be going public on the NASDAQ in a US$115 million IPO. The filing with the SEC outlines a concurrent private placement of US$50 million by Bitmain and US$10 million by IDG China Capital.
Gemini hires Robert Cornish from the NYSE as Chief Technology Officer
The exchange owned by the Winklevoss Twins have taken on a former NYSE executive as Chief Technology Officer. Robert Cornish was formerly head of the NYSE Pillar project, an initiative to refresh the dated electronic trading platforms.
The CBOE has applied for a Bitcoin ETF license
The CBOE Global Markets is exploring the opportunity to list Bitcoin ETFs. The company has applied for a license with the U.S Securities Exchange. The proposal outlines the intent to list and trade SolidX Bitcoin Shares, the fund issued by the VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust. Van Eyck Investments and SolidX jointly run the fund.
Global hash rates dive as flooding in China takes miners offline
Flooding in the Sichuan province of China has damaged numerous mining operations and lowered hash rates across multiple digital assets. The impact highlights the role China plays in digital asset infrastructure.
Around the network
- Blockchain Mining: The key to powering a decentralized world
- Why bitcoin uses so much energy
- Casinos Placing Bets on Blockchain Technology
Through the headlines
- Here’s how a trade war between the U.S. and China could get ugly
- Bank of Canada’s expected hike is six months in the making for Poloz
- Trump making Supreme Court pick to cement conservative majority
- China attempts to get closer with Europe after Trump slaps new tariffs on Beijing
- Oil is likely to jump another 10 percent this summer, energy expert Tom Kloza predicts
Buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies on Coinsquare, Canada’s most secure trading platform.
Get the latest blockchain and digital currency news from Canada and around the world, delivered each week to your inbox.
Your Email address